Thursday 9 July 2015

You Utter Utter Utter Bastard




I can't believe a year has gone by since we lost the mighty Rik Mayall.  I was sad.  Very sad.  Lots of tears.  I think some people thought I was a bit weird.  I don't deny it.  I mean I had not long given birth so there may have been the hormonal thing going on but even so, I think I was definitely in mourning.  Mourning for a lost little part of my childhood and of this person who was so important to me but I didn't realise it.  How did I not realise it?  Everything about Rik had always made me smile and laugh out loud.  He was a source of comfort and happy and here he was, suddenly gone.  

It's been a year of me not watching anything he was in.  No Young Ones, no Bottom, no Blackadder, and definitely no tribute shows.  I just couldn't bring myself to.  Now I think it's time that changed. It's time to let go and celebrate the maniacal comic genius once again.  I'm going to wear my smashing blouse and get out the DVD box sets.  Thanks for all the laughs Rik.  I'm off to re-live them over and over again...

Anyone here like the Human League?

4 comments:

  1. you know all the quotes! Glad you can enjoy the shows again. my Mila shares her birthday with rick Mayall (7th 03) and she defo has a mad comic streak. btw its Courtney Love's birthday today! off to play Malibu x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rik Mayall in the Young Ones reminds me so powerfully of my first year at university - we all adored the programme and quoted it ad nauseam. Funny series, funny man. Never was as keen on Bottom, but Blackadder is now making my kids laugh as it did me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and my brother loved the Young Ones, I think I must have been in the Sixth Form when it was on as i was definitely still at home and Dad definitely didn't approve of the language!!!
    Not keen on Bottom but loved Blackadder, too.
    We're at Speke Hall with Odd Socks Alex this weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Bottom as a teen! You need to blog, I miss you!!!x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...